Swarm here isn’t it!
Today we learnt about bees and their important role in pollination and how they make honey. Honey is E’s “favourite food in the whole wide world” and we needed a bit of Spring in our lives today so it seemed appropriate.
What you’ll need:
- 1 balloon
- PVA glue
- Black and yellow paint
- White tissue paper
- wire clothes hanger
- Pipe cleaners (black and yellow)
- Coloured block of paper
- Masking Tape
- Green Pencil
- Straws (preferably green)
Last week we covered a balloon in papier maché in preparation. We stuck the balloon to a cup for extra stability and then E smothered it in some vaseline (try not to use too much as she did) and layered bits of newspaper dipped in a mix of glue and water on top. The mix was about 50/50 PVA glue to water. The flatter you get the layers of newspaper the better for painting later but its asking a lot of a 2 year old.
We started today by popping our balloon and cutting our papier maché mould to fit over E’s head and adding eye holes. Then we painted what would become our bee mask yellow and left it to dry as it needed a few coats.
Then we started making some flowers. These were simple and you just need straws masking tape and lots of coloured paper. We had giant straws which I came across in the drug store but you could use normal ones and make them a bit smaller. I then cut out centres for our flowers and lots of different coloured petals and finally some green leaves. E stuck the petals on to the centres of the flowers with some pre-cut masking tape (we are fairly impatient souls and couldn’t be doing with waiting for glue to dry but you could use glue).
Then we stuck another circle of yellow on the back to make the flower more solid. The completed flower was then stuck to the straw. When it came to the leaves I drew a leaf design on them and then E taped them to the straw.
In between doing flowers we added coats of paint to the bee mask. While E was making flowers I found an old wire clothes hanger and shaped it into a pair of wings with pliers. I cut off the excess wire and taped up the sharp ends with masking tape. Then we cut a couple of sheets of tissue paper in half and covered 2 in glue. I then sandwiched tissue paper over the wire wings and cut round the outline to give a neat finish.
Once the yellow paint was dry on the bee mask I made some holes for antenna, attaching the wings and a stinger. Then while E had a snack of honey sandwiches I painted the black lines onto the bee mask. Now we just had to wait for it to dry to pop the pipe cleaners in!
We watched some bee cartoons and youtube videos which showed more visually than I could explain what bees do and then we had a play ourselves with the bee mask and the flowers.
E is so happy with her mask and flowers and has decided they now live in her bedroom. I wonder how long it will take before they are completely destroyed! Unfortunately she refused to be photographed so this will have to do.
Hope you found a way to brighten your days too today. 🙂