I did it! I managed to create a decent substitute to Heinz baked beans!
Now E is a pretty stubborn creature and, while she is a good eater, trying to get her to agree to a dinner which isn’t pasta based (her current absolute “favourite food in the whole wide world”) can be tricky sometimes. I was over the moon when she said she’d happily have baked potatoes without any argument.
There was no time to get to the shops. M was napping and besides the potatoes were already in the oven. Hmmm… I would have to improvise.
Looking in my cupboard I discovered I had: tinned tomatoes. Check. And, yes, tinned cannellini beans. Hoorah!
So here is my recipe:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 sage leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic or 1/2 a teaspoon of dried garlic
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 50ml water
- 800g drained and rinsed tinned cannellini beans (you could also cook dried beans)
- 2 small tablespoons of low salt & sugar ketchup
- Heat the oil and fry the crushed garlic on a low to medium heat.
- Add the tomatoes and sage.
- Heat through and add the water.
- Blitz the lot with a hand held blender (my absolute favourite kitchen gadget) and bring to a simmer.
- Add beans and the ketchup (to give some of that authentic “Heinz” taste) and heat through.
It wasn’t the real deal but it was similar enough not to cause a fuss. You could probably get closer in taste by adding more ketchup but I think it was much tastier as it was, not to mention more nutritious!
It was so quick and simple to make and I will certainly be doing this in future rather than buying the beans ready prepared.
Hope you are all well and having better weather than we are here.